This morning as I carried Owen into the infant room at his school, the assistant manager stopped me and told me I'd be receiving his "Transition Packet" this afternoon. I must have looked at her like she had two heads, because she went on to remind me that Owen is turning one in a couple of weeks, drinking out of a sippy cup and eating the food the cook prepares every day. They want him to start spending a couple hours a day in the toddler room, especially naps, so he can get used it. Additionally, she mentioned that when he's around some of his former classmates who are now walking he may be more willing to take his first steps.
As she explained the process to me, I was excited and sad at the same time. My baby is ready to go into a toddler room! How exciting... and sad. My baby is no longer an infant. I couldn't help but cry a little bit on my way in this morning. A call home to my Mom helped me focus on other things, but I've pretty much been thinking about my little O all day.
I haven't shared my fears with anyone really... but, the truth is, I'm scared. Too late for that, huh? I'm not scared about Owen being a toddler (maybe I should be) but I'm worried that he's not walking. What kills me is that I wasn't worried about this until 7:15 this morning. "When he's around some of his his former classmates who are now walking he may be more willing to take his first steps." Those words hurt. I know as well as any other Mom or Dad that every child develops at a different rate than the next. Owen rolled over and sat up early, got teeth on time and started pulling up and walking while holding onto tables, toys and chairs when most of our friends' children did. But secretly, I'm scared he won't be walking for his first birthday.
"Boys are late bloomers." I don't buy it. I don't think your gender determines your capacity to learn or react. This is just something nice other mothers tell you when they know you're worried that your little boy isn't developing as fast as another child.
All I can do is continue to encourage our little man to let go and take those first few steps on his own - like we've been doing since we first caught him standing all on his own last week. I know he'll do it when he's ready. I need to remember that his timing will the best timing for him. I also know I shouldn't let this whole transition period get to me.
When you get pregnant, no one tells you the emotional roller coaster you ride for 10 months will continue past birth! Maybe it sounds stupid to say that, but I get the feeling I'll be crying a lot... out of joy and sadness. My baby is growing up and I guess in a way that is hard to imagine since most of the time I don't really feel like a grown up.
No comments:
Post a Comment