Sunday, June 2, 2013

Letter to Owen

Dear Owen,

You're two years old now. I can hardly believe how quickly time has flown since that day in 2011 when the sonogram technician said, "It's a boy!" But my love for you began long before that moment.

Daddy and I love each other very much and we wanted to share our love with a baby. Our very own child. I cannot express to you how blessed and excited we were to find out that we were expecting a baby in September 2011. From that day forward we agreed that as long as we had a healthy baby, we didn't care if he or she was a boy or girl.
The Birthday Boy at breakfast

On the way to my doctor's appointment to find out if you were a "he" or a "she," Daddy heard a song on the radio that made him certain you were a boy. He walked into the doctor's office where I was waiting for him with the biggest smile on his face. "It's a boy," he said. There was no doubt in his mind.

Since that time we have been through so much together. You were with me when I had my accident in the kitchen and had emergency surgery. I was so scared I would lose you, but you were strong. You were with me when I was promoted at work. You were with me as I lobbied for higher education in Washington, D.C. You were also with me when I celebrated the upcoming marriage of a dear friend.

Then I thought I'd never meet you. You didn't arrive on your due date. I guess you were just taking your time, but I'm glad you did. You were born late at night, a week late, but just as perfect and healthy as I had ever imagined.

Since then, you've never stopped amazing me with your sweetness. You are so loving and caring. You're also incredibly smart and handsome! Just when I think I can't possibly love you more, you stand up and walk over to Daddy all on your own or say, "bless you" when Mommy sneezes.

Happy second birthday, sweet boy. I can't wait to witness all of your accomplishments this year.

Love,
Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment