Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Such a big boy

Tonight, our friend and neighbor Natalie called to see if I could pick up her daughter, Hadley, from daycare. She was running late and her husband wouldn't be able to get there in time. At our daycare, if you can't pick your child up until after 6:00pm, you are charged $1.00/minute until you get there. Thank goodness for good friends who live close by!

So of course, I said yes and quickly my mind began to race... How am I going to get two kids into my car in this freezing weather???

When I arrived at school, I went straight to Hadley's room. The teacher knew I was getting her that day, so she was ready to go. I had her in her carseat about to head out of the room when I said, "Would it be bad if I put her in the car now and then go get Owen?" The teacher said, "YES!" Oh well... it was worth a shot. The way I looked at it, the car was all toasty and warm. I had no clue how this was all going to work out.

I went into Owen's room and got him. Of course, he wanted me to carry him as soon as I saw I had Hadley with me. So, off I hobbled... pumpkin seat on one arm with a six month old bundled up in it and then a 19 month old on my hip. Thank goodness someone opened the door for me!

I got to the car and carefully sat Hadley's seat on the sidewalk while I put Owen in his seat. I then shut his door and picked up Hadley taking her to the other side and getting her buckled in and ready to go. Then I went back to Owen and got him buckled in and settled with a book. By the time I fastened my own seat belt I was sweating! I don't know how some moms do it?! Two kids is a lot of effort! You all have my respect.

We got home and Hadley was fast asleep, so I went ahead and fed Owen. After dinner, we went into the living room to play with some puzzles and books. While we were laying on the floor, I heard Hadley so I got her out of her car seat and laid her on the floor with us. Owen immediately made it his purpose to entertain her. He played peek-a-boo with her and pretty soon our living room was filled with giggles and squeals from both kids.


After about ten minutes of playing, Natalie arrived and Hadley went home. Owen talked about her all night before bed. He loved making her laugh! He's getting to big now. Maybe one day he would make a good big brother???

No comments:

Post a Comment