Saturday, July 2, 2011

First Road Trip

Nate was asked to help out a colleague with some work in Louisville this week. Luckily, his boss knew that he hadn't spent much time at home with his newborn son [and tired wife] so he invited us all to come down and stay with Nate at the hotel.

After packing EVERYTHING we thought Owen may REMOTELY need during a two night stay, we piled into the van and headed south. Owen slept the whole way to Louisville! We were shocked that we didn't have to stop for an emergency diaper change or just to hold the little guy and calm him down.

We arrived in the morning and went straight to Grandma Lynn's office. Owen was given his mid-morning bottle by his Grandma and Nate took off for work. Lynn and I decided to go to lunch at a cute cafe in Jeffersonville called Adrienne & Company Bakery Cafe. Again, Owen slept the whole time even though the wait staff liked to let the kitchen door slam behind them (which was near our table) every time they delivered food to a table. The best part of lunch, aside from the company, was the cupcakes! With every lunch order you get a chocolate or vanilla cupcake... HEAVEN!

When we got done with lunch, Owen and I headed to the hotel and moved into our room. Owen was ready for another bottle and after a little tired crying took a nap. Again... here I go watching him sleep when I should be sleeping.

When Nate got done for the day we hopped in the van and visited Great Grandma Mary and Owen's cousins Andrew and Addison. Luckily, Grandma Lynn and Aunt Heather were able to stop by and spend some time with the little man, too.

Later that night we joined Nate's coworkers for dinner at a new restaurant in downtown Lousiville, Doc Crow's Southern Smokehouse and Raw Bar. The food was outstanding and the beer list was really extensive. I had a Dixie Beer from the Dixie Brewing Company in New Orleans. It tasted sooooo good. Trust me, it was super hot and humid and something cold - anything cold - would have been amazing but this beer was just what the doctor ordered.

After dinner, we headed back to the hotel for what proved to be a long night. I think the change in scenary and schedule really threw Owen for a loop. He ended up sleeping on my chest the whole night. Nate was able to get out the door on time but I was certainly slow to move in the morning. I was able to get Owen into his stroller and over to Fourth St. for an Einstein Bros. "Everything" bagel with low-fat schmear and a LARGE coffee.

After spending some more time with Grandma Lynn, we joined her and Aunt Nikki for lunch at TGI Friday's before heading back to the hotel to meet up with my college roommate, April. I hadn't seen her in FOREVER. It was so good to spend some time together and I'm glad she was able to meet Owen. Near the end of our visit, Nate came in and said he was done and we could go home. I was ready. April said goodbye to all of us and we packed up in a quarter of the time it took us to get ready to leave Indy.

We stopped by Great Grandma Helen and Great Grandpa Bob's house on our way out of town to introduce them to Owen. Of course, Owen was asleep, but didn't disappoint. I was so glad we were able to see so many people on his first road trip to the Ville.

No comments:

Post a Comment