Friday, July 8, 2011

First Fourth of July

Instead of going back down to Louisville for the Fourth, we invited the family and some of our friends who were in town to come to our house for a cookout and fireworks. Owen was able to spend some quality time with his cousins: Jack, Ava, Addison, Ryan and Clay. Uncle Brad, Grandma Lynn, Grandpa Steve, Aunt Donna, Uncle Mike, Aunt Nikki, Uncle Jerrad, Aunt Angie, and Great Grandma and Great Grandpa Littlefield were all up to visit too!

We had a very crowded house but it was nice to see everyone and let others hold the little man for a while.

He started to get really fussy about the time Nate started to light the fireworks so I brought him inside to rock him to sleep. Well, that was a lofty idea! He was not having it. He was having an absolutely meltdown when Lynn suggested we get some gas relief drops for him. Nate made a late night run to Walmart and she was right... a little bit of Mylicon went a long way! I wish someone would have told me that before.

Come to find out, I was also mixing his formula incorrectly. Now, this next part makes me feel like such a bad mother, but I think I need to share it for therapeutic and educational reasons - this way, maybe I can help someone else! When we transitioned Owen from breast milk to formula, we had all ready prepared formula bottles (Similac sends them out ALL the time). Then we bought the powder and began mixing it with water for his bottles. I misread the powder somehow and was giving Owen less than half of what he needed in every serving for a month! Now, he was fine when we went to the doctor's office (9oth percentile for length and 50th percentile for weight) but I have never felt so bad in all of my life.

Once we got his formula portion fixed and the gas drops, it was really smooth sailing!

No comments:

Post a Comment