According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention,
"Hand, foot, and mouth disease is a common viral illness that usually affects infants and children younger than 5 years old. However, it can sometimes occur in adults. Symptoms of hand, foot, and mouth disease include fever, blister-like sores in the mouth (herpangina), and a skin rash."Luckily, Owen never developed sores in his mouth. According to a nurse at our pediatrician's office, when children develop those blister-like sores they lose their appetite and willingness to drink fluids - which can result in dehydration and a hospital stay for many little ones. Owen never refused cold water or milk. Thank goodness! His appetite was a little less than usual, but not severely different. He really only had 5 or 6 "blisters" on his feet and hands. The rest looked like a rash (see below).
Our pediatrician did say we could give Owen a quarter teaspoon of Benadryl (or generic) it it soothed him. He warned us that many little ones can become sleepy after taking Benadryl and others are wired. I gave it a shot during the afternoon and he became very drowsy. THANK GOODNESS! Tuesday night was the first night since Friday that Owen slept soundly. Previously, his feet were itching him so badly that it woke him up. I could literally hear him rubbing his feet on his crib sheet.
I also gave Owen an oatmeal bath the night we first tried the Benadryl. Aveeno makes it and it's available at drugstores. A box of it has 10 packets of the oatmeal you can use for about $12.99. It was totally worth it. The bath was cool, lukewarm at best, and Owen loved it! I didn't use any soap or shampoo... just let him play and soak in the oatmeal. Don't forget, he also had an ear infection so I was unable to get water near his right ear at this time, too! I was able to wash his hair with a washcloth and a comb... not ideal, but it beats being the mom of the "stinky kid" at school!
From the time Owen first showed signs of his rash and blisters until the blisters popped and scabbed over, he missed 4.5 days of school! The pediatrician said it can take 4-6 days to run it's course.
So, there you have it... the reason why Owen's first birthday party was cancelled and why I missed a couple days of work! The first day was the worst, but talking to the pediatrician helped SO much. I hope none of my friends' little ones ever experience this virus, but if it does pop up, maybe Owen's story will provide some assistance or comfort to you!
No comments:
Post a Comment